The composition of the wastewater we receive is 99.9% water with the remaining 0.1% containing organic matter, microorganisms and inorganic compounds that we work hard daily to remove before discharging to the Androscoggin River. In 2022, we specifically removed 94.7% of the Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) and 96.4% of the Total Suspended Solids (TSS), which make up the majority of pollutants that we received, resulting in cleaner water being discharged from our facility than that naturally flowing by our facility from the river.
In 2022, we utilized the biogas from our Anaerobic Digestion process in our co-generation units to produce 1,753,771 kW’s. This was enough to power the equivalent of approximately 267 Maine households. These same units also produced enough waste heat to provide heating to the equivalent of 78 Maine households.